Pikes Peak School of Expeditionary Learning is a choice enrollment school. Parents who're interested in choosing the school must first meet with faculty. Students are admitted according to their needs and the school's space availability.
The Expeditionary Learning model of teaching and learning
inspires and empowers teachers to unleash the potential of their students. Our charter school builds teacher capacity in service of a more ambitious vision of student achievement: one that joins academic challenge and scholarship to critical skills like perseverance, critical thinking, and an ethic of contribution to prepare students for success in college, career and citizenship. Expeditionary Learning schools ensure the right conditions are in place for successful implementation of the model:
- Strong school leadership shared across a team
- A commitment to structures and relationships that optimize student and adult learning and foster character and trust.
- A majority of the school’s faculty embracing the Expeditionary Learning model.
- Structural and curricular autonomies around scheduling and curricular content that allow significant time and flexibility for group projects, fieldwork, and presentations.
- Time for the principal and each faculty member to participate in at least 10-15 days of professional development in the summer and during the school year.
- Frequent and ongoing access to a school’s staff to promote growth and improvement in practice and results.